It’s the most wonderful time of the year for so many reasons, and one of them is freight shipping. We know what you’re thinking, “what makes freight shipping so wonderful this time of year?” Hear us out. The holidays are the busiest time for businesses and shippers everywhere, from Christmas tree farms, to Etsy shops, to online and eCommerce stores, to the classic local mom and pop store in town, everyone is shipping more than usual and that means freight is moving rapidly. So, pour yourself a glass of eggnog and enjoy these Christmas shipping fun facts we gathered just for you!
It's All About the Tree
There are few holiday symbols that match up with the classic Christmas tree, and with great popularity comes some great Christmas tree shipping facts!
Here are some numbers from the National Christmas Tree Association (NCTA):
- Approximately 25-30 million real Christmas trees are sold in the U.S. each year.
- There are close to 15,000 farms growing Christmas trees in the U.S.
- For every Christmas tree harvested, 1-3 seedlings are planted in the spring.
- There are roughly 350 million Christmas trees currently growing on Christmas tree farms in the U.S. alone—all planted by farmers.
Shipping Christmas trees is no easy task. With the specialty services it requires and the tight capacity, it can be tough to even find a carrier to move them at all! Nonetheless, Christmas trees make their way into our living rooms year in and year out.
Returning Gifts Has a Season of Its Own
Surveys done in 2019 by both the National Retail Foundation and marketing analytics provider, Oracle, suggest a high majority of people plan on returning or exchanging gifts after the holidays are over. Due to the high level of online shopping that was on the rise in the past and is now the new norm in the post-COVID economy, the numbers of returns and exchanges are expected to increase as well.
In that National Retail Foundation survey, a third of respondents said returns policies are an important factor when choosing where they do business online. In fact, 97% of consumers who had a positive return or exchange experience are more likely to be repeat customers.
Safe to say, using reverse logistics to increase customer satisfaction is a vital part of the holiday supply chain nowadays!
Shipping Special Items Across the Nation
More and more Americans want to send that perfect gift or special item during the holidays, but shipping special items can be tricky. Maybe you’re Etsy store sells customized pet furniture or you’re an antique store shipping old, fragile furniture. No matter what the special item is, you want to be sure it arrives at its destination safely and securely. That could mean choosing additional services such as white glove service or purchasing third-party freight insurance for added peace of mind.
Working with a third-party logistics provider or 3PL can also help. When you partner with a 3PL as a business shipper, an individual shipper or a first-time shipper, you get expert logistics and shipping guidance from a dedicated freight agent to help you find the right shipping solutions for your cargo.
More Christmas Shipping Fun Facts
What else might be on those freight trucks this holiday season? Here are some more Christmas shipping fun facts:
- Each year, 76 billion candy canes are made and 90% are sold between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- Americans drink more than 135 million pounds of eggnog every year.
- During the Christmas season, more than 4 million tons of wrapping paper and shopping bags are thrown away. Needless to say, some freight packaging tips and green supply chain guidance is in order!
- Here is Santa’s workload: There are just over 526 million Christian kids under the age of 14 in the world who celebrate Christmas on December 25th. Santa has to deliver presents to almost 22 million kids an hour, every hour, on the night before Christmas. That’s about 365,000 kids a minute, about 6,100 a second.
While we can’t help Santa deliver gifts to every single child in the world at that rate, we can certainly help him and your business get the logistics solutions needed to be successful this holiday season and all year long. From our world class, expert shipping agents to our powerful TMS, we empower shippers to take control of their supply chain and get the rates and service they deserve.